The Herald
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Herald

News coverage you can trust in Lighthouse Lakes!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Friday, March 21, 2014

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Friday, March 21, 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Friday, March 21, 2014   Friday, March 21, 2014 EmptyFri Mar 21, 2014 11:10 am

The Herald
March 21, 2014

Welcome to The Herald!
Lighthouse Lake, SL
Editor In Chief: Emily Hax

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NEWS STORIES

LOCAL YOUTH ARRESTED ON DRUNK AND DISORDERLY CHARGES
Friday, March 21, 2014 Screen19
Lighthouse Lake Police responded to an emergency call on Tuesday night around 5pm SLT. Police received a call on a drunken youth who was acting out aggressively towards her parents. Police Chief Aron Knight and Officer Andy Bernheim were the first responders and discovered a very intoxicated 18 year old Ania Akiko Jones at the home of her parents. Ania’s parents, Caden Ragnar and Gysale, were said to be distraut at the actions of their daughter. “She has no respect for us or rules! I HAVE HAD IT!! Physical violence is too much, even from your own daughter!” said Ms. Jones’ parents. Ania was arrested and taken to the Lighthouse Lake Police department where she was booked. The girl was later released at the request of her parents who decided to let her back into their home after she had sobered up. Ms. Jones was released with a warning.

TOWN HALL MEETING HELD MONDAY NIGHT 3/17/14

The first Town Hall Meeting took place on Monday, March 17 at 6pm SLT with a great showing of residents and business owners. Main topics on the agenda included hiring at the Police and Fire Departments. Chief Knight spoke to residents about coming in and filling applications out to join the force while Public Safety Manager, Emily Hax, urged residents to apply for the Fire department should they not want to join the police department. Questions were brought to the table on drivers licenses and Mayor Salvaggio made it clear that all residents who wish to drive, must obtain a drivers license at the municipal building downtown. For the complete notes of Monday night’s meeting, contact Emily Hax for a copy!

NEW CHURCH SOON TO BE OPEN TO PUBLIC

Our beautiful church in town may soon be opening it’s doors and welcoming a priest! Lulu Sass, a young parishioner hopes once the church’s doors open, parishoners will join in church services. In a statement from Miss Sass, she says “I would like to hear from you if you are interested in attending.  Services, at least for now, would probably be Vespers only (evening prayer) at 8 PM SLT, Monday to Friday.  Our family priest, Father Kal Greymoon (who is also a military chaplain) is interested in presiding at Vespers.”

“Although my Mama and I are Catholic, I think the church could be shared if there are other people who want to use it.  Maybe we could change the sign as needed (I don't know how to do stuff like that, but I am sure someone does).  It is a very pretty church, in such a nice spot, and I am very grateful to the sim owners for adding it  For me, it makes an already friendly sim even more friendly.” For more information, please contact Lulu Sass.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

LIFE SECTION ANNOUNCEMENTS

EMILY HAX NAMED TOWN GENERAL MANAGER

You may see her running around town, helping residents and incoming visitors or sitting in her office typing away at the newspaper. None the less, this girl is a busy one. Emily Has was recently promoted to General Manager of Lighthouse Lake, SL by Mayor Nita Salvaggio. Should you see the new GM in town, don't hesitate to say hello!
BIRTHS & BIRTHDAYS

Happy RL or SL Birthday wishes to the following:

No Birthdays this week

OBITUARIES

No deaths to report in Lighthouse Lakes. This makes us happy!

ADVICE COLUMN
Dear Caroline:
“I think there are better ways to help people than to give them spare change. For example, I give money to groups that help homeless people.” Then do — have her watch you do it.
Even better, encourage her to go through her toys, books and clothing to see if there’s anything she has outgrown and can donate. If you can up that to volunteering at a shelter, even better. Just not as a token on a holiday; that creates more problems for shelters than it does solutions.
If she asks more questions — like the obvious one, “Why?” — you can say that spare change might help solve an immediate problem, like an empty stomach, but that a good charity will help solve problems longer-term.
Re: Panhandlers:
When I lived in New York, I got to know the regular panhandlers along my route to work. Instead of giving money, I made sandwiches and veggie strips. If I ran into one of them, I’d give it to them. If not, then I had veggies to snack on myself. I made peanut butter sandwiches, since they lasted a couple of days without affecting taste.
I donate to United Way for the systemic help, but it was hard even as an adult to turn away from a plea for help. This way I didn’t give money, but if they were really in need, I was able to feed them a single meal.

Dear Caroline:
How do friends drift apart if I’m the only one drifting? I have a friend who lives somewhat near me whom I’ve known since college. We weren’t super close, but I suppose since we’ve known each other so long, we’ve kept up this friendship.
I would like it to drift into the ether. My friend is selfish and consistently negative. She constantly complains about how tough her life is, even though she has everything she’s ever wanted — i.e., husband, kids, certain amount of money, big house, etc. I find our (thankfully) infrequent get-togethers draining, and find myself competing with her in complaints to — I suppose, childishly — prove that she actually has it quite good. I then vent about these visits to my husband and friends, and I’m sure they’re sick of hearing about them.
I’ve tried to drift away by not initiating contact, but she always seeks me out eventually. My other friends and my husband say I should suck it up and do these quarterly get-togethers, but I don’t wanna! Is there anything I can do short of a big dramatic breakup? Don’t really want to do that either.
Drifting
Why are ending the friendship and “suck it up and go” the only choices on my menu? What happened to telling her the truth?
Each of her complaint sessions is an opportunity for you to say, “You know, I’ve listened to you complain about how tough your life is — for years, really — but from the outside, you appear to have everything you wanted. If that’s not enough, then is it time to look inward to figure out what’s missing?”
Win-win, right? She’ll either take it to heart or never call you again.
I suppose she could spin your candor into something she wants to hear and then resume complaining, but then you can say: “Okay, let’s try this: Tell me something positive about your life. We’ll talk about that.”
If even that doesn’t work, two words: theater tickets. You don’t talk, then talk about the show. By then, the “dramatic breakup” option might not sound so bad.

Lighthouse Lakes EATS

RECIPES OF THE WEEK
Each week, The Herald will print a fabulous recipe for all of its residents to try out in RL if they so choose. Enjoy this week's yummy treat!

Crock Pot Cream Cheese Chicken
Ingredients:

Servings:
4-6
Units: US | Metric
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
8 ounces cream cheese, cubed
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 (1 ounce) package hidden valley ranch dressing mix
1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
1 dash paprika
1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried parsley flakes

Directions:

Wash and dry chicken breasts and place them evenly in crock pot. Sprinkle with paprika. Sprinkle pkg. of Hidden Valley Ranch salad dressing mix over chicken. Drizzle chicken breasts with 1 tablespoons melted butter.
Cover and cook on Low for 4 hours.

Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in a medium saucepan along with minced garlic and saute slightly.
Add cream of chicken soup, the 8 oz. of cream cheese cubes, 1/2 cup chicken broth, dried Oregano and dried Parsley flakes. Stir on medium heat until smooth.
Add mixture to crock pot, cover again and continue to cook on low for 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours.
Serve over buttered egg noddles.

Have an announcement to share with Lighthouse Lakes? Need to have an event advertised here? Please contact Emily Hax (emilyjacobson) with your information via notecard.

Deadline for submissions is every Thursday. The Herald is posted on Fridays.

For more information, please contact the editor, Emily Hax (emilyjacobson)

ABOUT THE EDITOR
Friday, March 21, 2014 Screen18
Emily Hax resides in Lighthouse Lakes with her daughter Kaly. She enjoys her writing, spending time with her family, riding her bike and eating cupcakes.
Back to top Go down
https://theherald.board-directory.net

Friday, March 21, 2014
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Herald :: Your first category :: CLICK HERE FOR THE HERALD-
Jump to: